Monday, July 31, 2017

The Chosen (Ch 1) due Sun, Sept 1 by 8pm

Identify a particular image that stood out for you in Chapter 1. Describe in detail what you envision and why you think it struck you. End your post w/ a question. (Skip a line between paragraphs.)

Also, reply to at least one student's post.

15 comments:

  1. When I began to read “The Chosen” by Chaim Potok, It was hard to really dig into and fully understand. The first chapter takes place at a baseball game. I personally, do not watch or take any slight interest in baseball. This made it hard to stay focused on what was going on, and I had to read some sections once or twice to get the jist. However, in the last few pages of chapter one (pages 28-31), the narrator Reuven, is describing the nervousness before he pitches. This particular image really stood out to me. Reuven had taken two hard falls before pitching, so his wrist was already in some pain, and it didn’t help that Danny Saunders was up to bat. The Yeshiva team had made it clear that it was more than just a ball game. To them, it was a matter of proving their righteousness. Reuven was in pain, angry, and under pressure. He threw a straight pitch, to which Danny Saunders anticipated. Danny hit the ball and sent it straight towards Reuven, who was unable to get a grip on it. The ball moved from the finger sections of his glove, chattered his glasses, and smacked him in the forehead. Despite Reuven’s violent attempt to retrieve the ball, Danny made it safely to first.

    This image stuck out to me, because I feel as though it illustrates the tense competition building between Danny and Reuven. As I was reading, I could feel the blurriness that Reuven could see when he fell. I could feel the disappointment Reuven had for himself, whilst being confused about exactly what had happened. It makes me wonder how the bond between Danny and Reuven will continue throughout the novel. I don’t see how they could become good friends, after such a hot-blooded first encounter. On the other hand, maybe Danny will apologize for his cramped perspective and ignorance during the game. This brings me to my question for my peers. How do you think Danny and Reuven will get along after the baseball game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In response to your question on how I think Danny and Reuven will get along, I somewhat agree with you that they most likely won’t become good friends. In the beginning of the chapter I was expecting the story about the softball game to be a preface to how they became friends, but I soon realised that this wasn’t the case. The reason why Reuven tells the story in the first place is still yet to be determined, but it is very clear that they have their differences especially with religion. I think that throughout the book they will continue to encounter each other, and maybe through time settle these differences that they have.

      Right now in the book it is difficult to say what will happen. If Danny wasn’t important to the plot than the softball game wouldn’t be introduced in the first chapter. This makes me wonder whether or not they will possibly end up getting along, but I think that would be at the end of the book. In the near future, however I think they will be very hostile towards each other.

      Delete
    2. I think for several chapters, they won't have a good relationship because when they first met, Danny said that he's going to kill Reuven by apikorsim and saying apikorsim to Reuven is like saying you don't have your family or yourself. Also Danny made Reuven get hurt so, I think they will stay in a very rivalry situation for some times.

      Delete
  2. While reading the first chapter, though it was all focusing on the softball game, the amount of detail that was given about the game made it more interesting and easier to understand. A particular image that stood out to me, was when Davey describes the other team, and says that “they’re murderers,” (7). Everyone doubts what Davey says even though he keeps repeating it throughout the chapter. When the Yeshiva team finally arrives and practices, their playing doesn’t seem to resemble Davey’s description at all, and the team begins to think it will be easy to win. Once the game begins, Reuven takes second base. The third batter up hits the ball and crashes into Reuven while trying to get to the base, knocking him down. Once he gets up Reuven finally takes into consideration what Davey has said and starts to realize how they have underestimated the Yeshiva team.

    This part stood out to me because it was interesting to imagine the shock the team must have had when the game started and they soon realized how they had misjudged the Yeshiva team. The rabbi seemed to expect the outcome. He didn’t seem surprised by much of what was happening in the game, and he barely reacted throughout it. This makes me wonder about whether it was all on purpose maybe to have the team think it would be easy to win so they would be caught off guard. This brings me to my question, is it possible that they had planned for the whole game to be a jab at the team because of different views on religion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Response #1

      I had the same question when reading this story, but after thinking it over and re-reading a few parts to gain a better understanding, I do think that the game was set up to jab at one another. I decided this mainly because the game took place in the coach’s yard, and because of some of the comments made back and forth between the coaches.
      "But we have never played in your yard before. We want a few minutes."
      "Well, now... there isn't much time. The rules are each team practices in its own yard." (15)
      When reading this, I found it very weird that they were playing in someone’s backyard, but also realized that at every baseball or softball game I have ever gone to, the other team has been allowed time to warm up on the field. So when he said it was a rule that they practiced in their own yard it seemed like a fake rule that was made to irritate the other team.

      Delete
  3. Blog #1

    Chapter one of “The Chosen” was filled with so much detail that when reading about the softball game, I could really imagine being at the game, and feeling what was going on. For instance, with this part; “We threw the ball around a few more minutes, then I went up to home plate for some batting practice…” (14) When Reuven is describing the team warming up and getting ready to play, it was very easy to picture a baseball team practicing on the field, getting ready for the game to start. I could also easily tell what is going on throughout the game because of the amount of detail that the author used, like when he said, “He was almost halfway down the baseline, when the bat sent the ball in a hard line drive straight to the third baseman, the short, thin boy with the spectacles and the old man’s face…” (27)

    I think this part really stuck out to me because I love baseball, and have played it for most of my life. Reading this reminded me of some of the games I played, when we would be warming up on the field and the other team would show up. We would watch them and try and prejudge to see if they were a good team or not. This also made me wonder though, what the age group of the kids in the book were, and what details made me think that they are that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too found this part very interesting because I too am a fan of baseball, and while I stopped playing at the start of middle school I still keep up with it. I was able to feel and see what you were describing when you talked about running the baselines. I also enjoyed the part about you and your baseball team warming up on the field and seeing the other team come in and try to find out how they may play. I was able to relate to this because while I never did it in baseball I did it in soccer. I would try to find out who on the opposing team was a lefty and other things so I could find strengths and weaknesses.

      Delete
  4. Throughout chapter 1 and the softball game I was fascinated by the attitude the other team held. A particular image that stuck out to me was the calm and almost bored demeanor of the rabbi. During the early parts of the game the rabbi seemed uninterested and more inclined to read his book then watch the game, “I saw the rabbi smile broadly then looked down at his book and resume reading” (19). Once the yeshiva team scores the rabbi seems overly confident that his team will win, which would explain his calm attitude. On the contrary Reuven’s coach is very nervous about the first few plays of the game, “I saw him (Mr. Galmer) take a handkerchief out of his pocket and wipe his forehead” (17). The only time the rabbi seems to show interest is when the Reuven’s team starts to win during the last inning, “The yeshiva team was very quiet and the rabbi had begun to chew his lip” (28).

    The reason this image struck out to me was because reading a book during a game is a very unusual thing to do as a coach. I don’t see any coaches of any sport that sits down and reads a book the whole game. The rabbi doesn’t see softball as a game but more of a way to fit into American culture at that time during World War II, which could be the reason the rabbi isn’t very interested in the game. I’m curious to see if either the rabbi or Danny Saunders will apologize for the accident that happened to Reuven's at the end of the chapter. I also wonder if the reason for the rabbi’s attitude is solely out of boredom or is there something else responsible for the rabbi’s demeanor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also wondering about this. I feel as though the Rabbi is convinced that they are going to win and so he brought along a book so he wouldn't be bored. Although the Rabi does look up occasionally like when Danny is batting or when Reuven made that amazing catch, "I had caught the ball, staring out at me his face was frozen to stone. The rabbi was staring at me, too," (26). So I feel as though the rabbi is overly cocky and that could be a reason for his demeanor other then boredom

      Delete

    2. I was also very puzzled by the rabbi’s behavior. The way Potok wrote, made it sound like the rabbi may play an important role in the novel. I agree that the rabbi seems to think his team will have no problem winning the game, and that is partially why he is able to sit back and read a book amongst the chaos. However, he seems a little bit too confident in the Yeshiva team. Perhaps he knew something the other team didn’t. Furthermore, he does not have the mannerism of a typical sports coach. I am eager to see if and how the rabbi will take part in the rest of the book.

      To answer your question, I do not think that the rabbi’s odd demeanor is just out of boredom. I believe that there is something suspicious about his character. His disposition during the game was almost rude. Most coaches (like Reuven’s) at least have the decency to look invested in the game, and support the athletes. I think you asked a very good question, and I hope that the book will eventually reveal the rabbi’s inclinations.

      Delete
  5. While reading the first chapter of the chosen I noticed multiple details about Reuven that enabled me to really start to understand his life. One detail that I found very interesting was when Reuven was talking to Danny about Reuven’s father; “‘Your father is David Malter, the one who writes articles for the Talmud?”’ “‘Yes.”’ “‘I told my team we’re going to kill you apikorsim this afternoon”’ (18). That last line of Danny’s really shows you the true characteristics of him and his team. Danny doesn’t seem to care whether Reuven is a good person or not, he just cares about what his father does. Another detail I found interesting was when Reuven was talking about what his father said, “What annoyed him was their fanatic sense of righteousness, their absolute certainty that they and they alone had God’s ear, every other Jew was wrong, totally wrong, a sinner, a hypocrite, an apikoros, and doomed, there-fore, to burn in hell” (24). It seems to me as if the boys on this team also feel this way, and are taking it out on Reuven’s team.

    These parts stood out to me, because it really seems as though there is a struggle between these two types of jewish groups, and I was completely unaware that there was or is this struggle between the two groups. The second quote stood out to me because if what Rueven’s dad says is true, then the groups truly are separated more than I thought. The first quote especially stood out to me because Danny was so harsh to Rueven, solely because of what his dad does, and his type of Jewish faith. I feel like Danny and his team should have considered more about them before judging them so harshly. So my question is why does Danny really care so much about what Reuven’s father does?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this question a lot because even though the passage you talked about in chapter 1 was short, it raises lots of questions and definitely has deeper meanings. I think Danny’s views on Reuven’s father and Reuven is being incited by Danny’s father Reb Saunders. The only reason Danny despises Reuven is because Reuven’s father is part of a different Hasidic sect then Danny’s father. Danny’s father is very loyal to his own sect and that is why he tells Danny that Reuven and his father are “apikorsim.” I don’t think Danny should judge Reuven so quickly or have such hatred for his whole baseball team, by saying they should, “burn in hell” (24).

      Delete
  6. One big image that stuck out to me was when the narrator was describing his baseball coach, Mr. Galanter. The detail he uses when describing Mr. Galanter made me feel as though the book gave me every detail I needed to create him in my head. The way he talked about him wearing the skullcap that he knew he did not wear often because of the way it was sitting on his head, the way he walked like a boxer and his obsession with baseball was enough to create an image in my head. The descriptions I found to be very interesting because it was not just about Mr. Galanter’s physical shape, but also his style. He seems to be like the classic gym teacher cliché. He wears white polo and white pants, and he is described as being short and chunky. This part made me chuckle because it reminded me of a gym teacher I had in elementary school in Brookfield VT. My gym teacher there was a lot like Mr. Galanter (without the warfare references). He too did the action of punching his hand when he was trying to get a point across.

    Sometimes when I watch a movie after reading the book I will end up not liking certain parts of the movie because I had a different image in my mind from reading the book. After reading the descriptions the narrator uses when he is describing people like Mr. Galanter and other characters in the book, I feel as though I can see him in a movie and be able to think, “That is exactly how I pictured him”. This is not so much due to my imagination, but is due to the details in the novel. This all made me think: What other characters throughout the book am I going to have the same effect with because of the narrator's ability to describe people so well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The particular image that stood out for me was the moment during the softball game, right after the first inning (p.21~22). The whole team didn’t have a great defensive inning, but they were happy that they only gave the other team only few points. Reuven, Davey Cantor, and Sidney Goldberg were talking about how the other team behaved and how they were playing aggressively. For example, Danny hitting the ball right at the pitcher and the ‘Bear’ guy running through Davey and saying he was just in his way. As they were playing the first outing, every player had a great hit and a great run. When Reuven went on the plate, there were 2 runners, each on second and third. He was laughing at the pitcher’s stupidity that he through the ball to first base, instead of throwing it to third. Reuven had his hit and the ball went to shortstop, but he ran faster than the ball which went to first and made the third base runner score a point. Then Reuven talks to Danny, who’s the guy who Davey says he’s a murderer and defending on first, as Danny talked to Reuven in the inning. Reuven provoked him a little.

    For me, this book is very hard to understand because I was never learned or influenced by any of the Russian or Jewish or German or any other religion that the book describes. I think that’s why the part which talks about sports made me concentrate better and was easier to image in my head when I was reading. Also, I really like parts where people comeuppance. So what did you image while reading this part of the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Alex. I don't know why this doesn't show my name

      Delete