Monday, July 31, 2017

The Chosen (Ch 2-4) due Sun, Sept 8 by 8pm

Quote 2 particular lines or passages from within Chap 2-4: one that feels imp’t to the text and one that feels imp’t to you, and explain why they feel imp’t. End your post w/ a question. (Note page #s, and skip a line between paragraphs.)

Also, reply to at least one student's post.

15 comments:

  1. A quote I found that seemed important to the text was on page 82, when Reuven and Danny are talking about careers. Danny says to Reuven, “It’s really funny. I have to be a rabbi, and don’t want to be one. You don’t have to be a rabbi and do want to be one..” They had talked about this earlier in the reading, and I thought this quote summed it up very well. In the earlier part of the reading they also talk about how their father’s both want them to pursue certain careers that Danny and Reuven don’t want to pursue. I think this shows us how their lives have affected their view on religion. Reuven seems to have grown up in an environment where there is a balance between religion and school. In Danny’s case it is the opposite. This has caused Danny to want nothing to do with being a rabbi, but for Reuven religion has been positive and pushes him towards wanting to become a rabbi.

    The quote that was important to me is when Reuven’s father comes to visit him in the hospital. Reuven says how envious he is of the people walking outside. His father then says to him, “No one knows he is fortunate until he becomes unfortunate” (73). This reminded me of how often we take things for granted, and how sometimes you are so much luckier than you think. This brings me to my question. Every time Reuven’s father visits he seems to be getting much more sick. This makes me think, is Reuven’s father hiding something about why he is so sick so that he doesn’t stress Reuven out while he is in the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wondered about this. It's normal for a parent to want to protect their child from the bad in life. I feel like it is highly possible that Rueven's father is sicker than he is letting on. Especially since when he visited Rueven the second time he was looking a lot worse than before.

      Delete

    2. Response #2
      I think that his father is getting worse as well, and I agree when you say that his father is trying to protect Reuven and make him not worry as much while he is in the hospital, I have a suspicion that later on in the book, we will find that his father will get much worse. I also feel like this makes his father a much better person for this, as he is trying not have his son worry while he is stuck in the hospital.

      Delete
    3. I agree with what you and Kaitlyn said. When my father was in the hospital with brain caner I know my mother tried to make it seems like it was not as bad as it was. I think that Reuven's father is probably doing the same thing. I also like how you (Hunter) talked about taking things for granted in life and how that is shown by this passage.

      Delete
  2. Throughout chapters 2-4 of Chaim Potok's “The Chosen”, there were several passages and lines that grabbed my attention. For example, within the first half of chapter two, Reuven expresses his surprise after he hears Mr. Galanter say “Jesus.” Reuven says, “I had never heard him use that word before, and I wondered what had made him use it now.” (page 37) I think that this line is important because it is showing the reality of Reuven's situation. Since Mr. Galanter clearly isn’t known to say things such as that, it is understandable to question it. I also think that this line foreshadows the bad news Reuven learns of later in the chapter concerning his eye. This line, and the paragraphs before it, strongly illustrate the relationship between Mr. Galanter and Reuven. I think that Mr. Galanter shows empathy towards Reuven by supporting him in the hospital when his dad wasn’t there, and calling him “Soldier.”

    Another line that caught my eye, was when Reuven received his first visit from Danny Saunders. The line was, “I thought it was time for me to say something even if what I said was a lie.” (page 61) This line felt relatable and important to me, because I often find myself in a situation where I speak before thinking. It can sometimes feel as though saying something is better than saying nothing, even if it's not what you truly want to say. My question is, do you think that the reason for Reuven's initial hatred towards Danny is also the reason they are becoming friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree to the statement, 'saying something is better than saying nothing, even if it's not what you truly want to say.' However, the reason why Danny and Reuven are getting closer as the book goes on, because they thought they were suppose to hate each other and they are enemies as they have different religion. But as they talk more to each other, they found themselves very similar and very alike. I think the line on page 61 is part of the progress of becoming better friends not because it's an initial hatred towards Danny.

      Delete
  3. One of the lines that really stuck out to me was in chapter 2 when Rueven was thinking about Billy, “I couldn’t imagine what it was like to know that no matter whether my eyes were open or closed it made no difference, everything was still dark” (53). This quote really impacted me, because you never really think about what bad things can happen to you until they do. I feel like this is when Rueven first realises what could happen to him and tough it would be. This line made me take a step back and think about how hard it would be to be blind, just like Raven did.

    One of the quotes that seemed very important was in chapter 3 when Rueven is talking to Danny, “‘You mean you wouldn’t become a rabbi if you had the choice?”’ “‘I don’t think so.”’ (69). I think that this is when Rueven starts to truly understand Danny. Before Rueven just assumed that Danny had a great life,but now he understands that Danny is having this life forced upon him. My question is why is it so important for Danny to be a rabbi too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something I was wondering too. If the Father knew how miserable his son would be as a rabbi why wouldn’t he be supportive of a different career. It makes sense for his father wanted him to take the job once he retires, because it is an inherited position. However I think the pressure he faces to take the job is deterring him more and more from liking the idea of it.
      If his father gave him an option to pursue other things like Reuven’s father, I think he would be a lot more open to taking the job

      Delete
    2. I don’t think it is important to Danny, to become a rabbi. I think that his future as a rabbi is sought after by his father, more than anything. From what we have read about Reb Saunders so far, he appears to be unexpressive and quiet.It is unfortunate for Danny, because he is aware that he could become anything he wants and still value his religion. However, he can’t stand to disappoint his father, who already seems to ignore him. I think that Reuven’s freedom do become anything, but odd desire to become a rabbi, will allow the friendship between he and Danny to prosper and grow even more.

      Delete
  4. A quote that I thought was important to the text was during chapter three right after Reuven’s first encounter with Danny since the incident. Reuven’s dad tells him that it was foolish for him to get so angry at Danny. “You did a foolish thing, Reuven (63).” Reuven’s dad then tell him what he should have done, which was to listen and be patient with someone who comes to apologize and talk. The next time Reuven meets with Danny he apologizes for his behavior, “That was rotten, all right. I’m really sorry (66).” I thought this was important to the text because it shows that Reuven respects and listens to his father and also that he's able to forgive Danny.
    A quote that I thought was important to me and I thought was interesting was towards the end of chapter three when Reuven and Danny are talking in the hospital. Danny mentions his father and what he is like. “He says that words distort what a person really feels in his heart… He told me once he wishes everyone could talk in silence (72).” Rueven doesn’t understand what this means and neither does Danny. I think it means that words and talking to people distract us from what's really important, which is what we are as individuals and what we really want to do. Danny says that his dad doesn’t really talk much unless they are studying the Talmud. This raised a question for me which is, does Danny not want to become a rabbi because his father might be forcing it upon him?


    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Blog #2

    One of the quotes I found to be very important to the read is on page 69. Danny and Reuven are talking about what they would like to be when they grow up; “what do you want to become a rabbi for… There are so many other things you could be.”
    “That’s a funny way for you to talk. Y ou’re going to become a rabbi.”
    “I have no choice. It’s an inherited position.”
    “You mean you wouldn’t become a rabbi if you had the choice.”
    “I don’t think so…”
    When I read this part it made me feel bad for Reuven because it seems that Reuven has been forced from a young age to believe that he was going to be a rabbi, whether he wanted to or not. Now that he is in the hospital it seems he has had a lot of time to think about whether he even wants to be one, and I feel like he is starting to realize that he doesn’t. I also feel like there is a little bit of pressure from Danny when he says, “you mean you wouldn’t become a rabbi if you had the choice.”

    The quote that had the most effect on me was on page 35 when they’re in the hospital, “Mr. Galander nodded. I kept my head straight, because it didn’t hurt so much when I didn’t move it.” This reminded me of the time when I was in a baseball game and I collided with another player, and we both had to get rushed to the emergency room. I remember my neck hurt really bad when that happened, so when people would talk to me I tried my hardest to make eye contact but it hurt to do. I guess this leads me to my question, whether anyone has ever felt like they have been forced to do something because it is how they were brought up when they were younger?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One quote that I think is important to the storyline is on page 82 when Danny and Reuven get to talking about future careers and Danny says “I have to be a rabbi and don’t want to be one. You don’t have to be a rabbi and do want to be one.” I found this very funny because It made me think of the “Prince and the Pauper”. In the “Prince and the Pauper” both kids lead polar opposite lives. One is a prince with vast wealth and the other lives on the streets with no money whatsoever. They both meet up and decide to change around their lives because they don’t like what they have been given. The pauper becomes a prince and the prince becomes a pauper.

    While I don’t think that Danny and Reuven are going to switch lives around. I think this is a good scene that shows how different, yet similar both boys are. This will also add to their growing relationship. My question is how will Reuven and Danny’s relationship keep on going now that they start to know more about each other?

    One quote that I found to be relatable is on page 64. This is when Reuven is in his room feeling bad about the thing he said to Danny. His father walks in and tells him that what he said was not okay. After his father leaves Reuven says “...I lay back in my bed, feeling depressed and angry with myself over what I had said to Danny Saunders.” This quote stuck out to me because while I try to generally stay a kind and nice person, sometimes I will just say the meanest things and really hurt someone. While I don’t get depressed perse I do get angry with myself that such an awful things came out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I think their relationship will continue to grow. Both boys are fascinated by how similar and different their lives are and they clearly have a strong connection. Which is odd so early in a friendship. I think both boys will continue to spend time together and share their life experiences and thoughts. I think that both boys will depend on each other more and more as the book goes on and I am looking forward to see how the story develops as well as their friendship.

      Delete
  8. For me the quote from p.54~55 is very important. The pages are talking about the D-Day, the end of the World War II, and this is a very important event for Reuven because he is a Jewish. Also for me it felt like this end of the war was same for Danny and Reuven of being an enemy and becoming friends now and that is a big deployment in the story. Two rivals ending their fight and becoming friends beyond their religion.

    The other quotes is from p.80, when they are now friends and Danny comes over to Reuven's room and talking about how they were taught and their relationship with their fathers. But I want to focus on the part where they talk about the reading books by Darwin or Huxley. My dad is an atheists and my mom is a christian. I was influenced from both my parents. I had to go to church every week and it was quite interesting being there. But the only thing I didn't like about it was that they say the scientists who claim that people evolved from an ape is a heresy and kept on claiming that the world is formed by the god. As they say that, Darwin and Huxley should've been a great disgrace for a religious person to read. It was very interesting and this was the part where I thought it was very important for me because they kept talking about their favorite subjects that a religious parents our people wouldn't like. Do you think they will get in trouble for talking and reading about these books?

    ReplyDelete