If you presented a slideshow about an author's life... (See Honors Contract for due dates.)
Name the author you researched. Describe how you feel about the process and product. (minimum 250 words) If you are willing, post a link to the slideshow.
I had a good experience making my slideshow about Shakespeare. I found it handy in the amount of time we actually spent on the Shakespeare unit. We learned a lot about Romeo and Juliet from the books, movies, and the acting and various projects we had to do, this made it useful when making the presentation. I was pretty comfortable learning more information that could be built upon what I had already learned from the unit. The date in which the presentation was due was very reasonable. I spaced out my work, that way on the due date I had completely finished all my work and not waited until the last minute to do it. I am pretty happy with the result as well of the slideshow, I feel like I put a lot of effort and time into it and am glad at how it turned out. When I presented it to the class I also felt pretty good about it, it was very helpful when the class participated because it brought more voices about Shakespeare and added to the discussion of the slideshow. The class was very respectful and listened well to what I was saying which was also helpful. I did enjoy making the slideshow and learning new information and facts about Shakespeare. One thing I would have done differently would be to practice what I was supposed to say. At certain points when I presented I stuttered and didn’t use my voice as well as I could have.
I think that your slideshow was very neat and concise while still providing lots of information about Shakespeare. I liked that it wasn’t super monotonous, and that you asked questions every few slides. I think that including questions was a great way to get everyone thinking and keep the class entertained. I also enjoyed that you kept the information per slide to a minimum, so it wasn’t too overwhelming. It was helpful to have an example before starting my own slideshow about J.D. Salinger.
I researched and created a slideshow presentation on J.D. Salinger. Personally, I found it difficult to work on this assignment because it was very time consuming, and I couldn’t finish it in one go like I do most of my work. It was challenging to have to work on it in increments. I also think it was hard to write everything that I needed to say and create a slide with bullet points that corresponded. However, I do think that watching Elliott’s presentation on Shakespeare beforehand allowed me to see what type of information I should include in my slideshow that wasn’t necessarily required. I had to resort to wikipedia for most of my information, because most other websites that I found didn’t give many specific details on Salinger’s life. I feel as though the actual presentation went well. However, I wish that I had called on more people because only a few raised their hands, and they tended to be the same couple of students. I think that If I were to do this project again, I would try not to be so nervous to present. I was speaking a little bit fast, and I ended up stuttering a lot. Overall, I did enjoy learning about J.D. I learned things about him that I would have never suspected before, such as the fact that he served in the army, or that he actually was a lot like his infamous character Holden Caulfield. I am glad that I stuck with this project even when it got difficult, because the final product was worth it.
After reading more about Sandra Cisneros, I was able to understand more about what she was really touching on in her book “House on Mango Street”. I was able to complete all my work in a very efficient manner because I was able to go into Mr. Chapin’s room to avoid the chaos of anthology work time. After watching the other honors presenters go I was able to get a feel for the flow and how the slideshow should look. I was also able to contact Olivia if I had a question about my slide. I was able to find many reliable websites such as Sandra Cinseros’s autobiography on her website and a website that talks about many famous women. The presentation part was the easiest because I enjoy presenting slide shows. I made the slides flow well so I was able to make it more enjoyable for the people watching. I also put in some jokes so that people may not get bored (at least that was the hope). After watching how Olivia and Elliott’s presentations went I knew that I would need to call on more people because my classmates don’t like to raise their hands and go out on a limb. I was forced to call on some kids so I wrote into my slide a little joke saying a good person to ask was Nate. This helped me lead people into answering the question. After I got some answers from more enthusiastic kids in the class, more and more people raised their hands. I found that doing this slideshows was a lot of fun both finding information and presenting it and I hope that I did well.
For the slideshow project I researched John Steinbeck. I am very happy with the overall product. I spent a lot of time working on it and I’m honestly very proud of the work I accomplished. I really enjoy making slideshows in general, but the added challenge of also creating the slideshow notes for some reason became a tedious process for me. I think sometimes I had a hard time balancing what I put on the slides and what I put on the notes. Normally I would try to fit a lot of information onto the slide, so this was a somewhat different process for me. I also had a hard time figuring out what to include on my slides at first. I knew I was going to include his early life, and where he went to school and overall basic information like that, but from there I hadn’t really figured out what else to add. Eventually though after reading some more, I was able to come up with categories and different topics I wanted to focus on. This helped me make an outline of what to work on next. I really liked being able to see a clear plan, and it really helped the project seem less daunting. Just by titling the slides allowed me to start thinking about what I was going to write, even if I was currently working on a different part of the slideshow. After finally finishing the slideshow I was very happy. This was the part of honors that I was most worried about finishing, and by doing the project I learned that sometimes the things that you worry about, aren’t often as bad as you think.
Hunter, I thought your slideshow was very well put together. You had all the information you needed and gave the class a thorough understanding of John Steinbeck and his life. However, you organized it so there wasn't too much writing on each slide, therefore it wasn't overwhelming to try to read. I also think that the question you asked was thought provoking. If I were to try and answer that again, I would say George did what he did because Lennie would never be able to live in a cell. He has the mind of a small child, so locking him up would be traumatic and he wouldn't necessarily even know what he did wrong. Overall, I enjoyed your slideshow.
I had a good experience making my slideshow about Shakespeare. I found it handy in the amount of time we actually spent on the Shakespeare unit. We learned a lot about Romeo and Juliet from the books, movies, and the acting and various projects we had to do, this made it useful when making the presentation. I was pretty comfortable learning more information that could be built upon what I had already learned from the unit. The date in which the presentation was due was very reasonable. I spaced out my work, that way on the due date I had completely finished all my work and not waited until the last minute to do it. I am pretty happy with the result as well of the slideshow, I feel like I put a lot of effort and time into it and am glad at how it turned out. When I presented it to the class I also felt pretty good about it, it was very helpful when the class participated because it brought more voices about Shakespeare and added to the discussion of the slideshow. The class was very respectful and listened well to what I was saying which was also helpful. I did enjoy making the slideshow and learning new information and facts about Shakespeare. One thing I would have done differently would be to practice what I was supposed to say. At certain points when I presented I stuttered and didn’t use my voice as well as I could have.
ReplyDeleteI think that your slideshow was very neat and concise while still providing lots of information about Shakespeare. I liked that it wasn’t super monotonous, and that you asked questions every few slides. I think that including questions was a great way to get everyone thinking and keep the class entertained. I also enjoyed that you kept the information per slide to a minimum, so it wasn’t too overwhelming. It was helpful to have an example before starting my own slideshow about J.D. Salinger.
ReplyDeleteI researched and created a slideshow presentation on J.D. Salinger. Personally, I found it difficult to work on this assignment because it was very time consuming, and I couldn’t finish it in one go like I do most of my work. It was challenging to have to work on it in increments. I also think it was hard to write everything that I needed to say and create a slide with bullet points that corresponded. However, I do think that watching Elliott’s presentation on Shakespeare beforehand allowed me to see what type of information I should include in my slideshow that wasn’t necessarily required. I had to resort to wikipedia for most of my information, because most other websites that I found didn’t give many specific details on Salinger’s life. I feel as though the actual presentation went well. However, I wish that I had called on more people because only a few raised their hands, and they tended to be the same couple of students. I think that If I were to do this project again, I would try not to be so nervous to present. I was speaking a little bit fast, and I ended up stuttering a lot. Overall, I did enjoy learning about J.D. I learned things about him that I would have never suspected before, such as the fact that he served in the army, or that he actually was a lot like his infamous character Holden Caulfield. I am glad that I stuck with this project even when it got difficult, because the final product was worth it.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading more about Sandra Cisneros, I was able to understand more about what she was really touching on in her book “House on Mango Street”. I was able to complete all my work in a very efficient manner because I was able to go into Mr. Chapin’s room to avoid the chaos of anthology work time. After watching the other honors presenters go I was able to get a feel for the flow and how the slideshow should look. I was also able to contact Olivia if I had a question about my slide. I was able to find many reliable websites such as Sandra Cinseros’s autobiography on her website and a website that talks about many famous women. The presentation part was the easiest because I enjoy presenting slide shows. I made the slides flow well so I was able to make it more enjoyable for the people watching. I also put in some jokes so that people may not get bored (at least that was the hope). After watching how Olivia and Elliott’s presentations went I knew that I would need to call on more people because my classmates don’t like to raise their hands and go out on a limb. I was forced to call on some kids so I wrote into my slide a little joke saying a good person to ask was Nate. This helped me lead people into answering the question. After I got some answers from more enthusiastic kids in the class, more and more people raised their hands. I found that doing this slideshows was a lot of fun both finding information and presenting it and I hope that I did well.
ReplyDeleteFor the slideshow project I researched John Steinbeck. I am very happy with the overall product. I spent a lot of time working on it and I’m honestly very proud of the work I accomplished. I really enjoy making slideshows in general, but the added challenge of also creating the slideshow notes for some reason became a tedious process for me. I think sometimes I had a hard time balancing what I put on the slides and what I put on the notes. Normally I would try to fit a lot of information onto the slide, so this was a somewhat different process for me. I also had a hard time figuring out what to include on my slides at first. I knew I was going to include his early life, and where he went to school and overall basic information like that, but from there I hadn’t really figured out what else to add. Eventually though after reading some more, I was able to come up with categories and different topics I wanted to focus on. This helped me make an outline of what to work on next. I really liked being able to see a clear plan, and it really helped the project seem less daunting. Just by titling the slides allowed me to start thinking about what I was going to write, even if I was currently working on a different part of the slideshow. After finally finishing the slideshow I was very happy. This was the part of honors that I was most worried about finishing, and by doing the project I learned that sometimes the things that you worry about, aren’t often as bad as you think.
ReplyDeleteHunter, I thought your slideshow was very well put together. You had all the information you needed and gave the class a thorough understanding of John Steinbeck and his life. However, you organized it so there wasn't too much writing on each slide, therefore it wasn't overwhelming to try to read. I also think that the question you asked was thought provoking. If I were to try and answer that again, I would say George did what he did because Lennie would never be able to live in a cell. He has the mind of a small child, so locking him up would be traumatic and he wouldn't necessarily even know what he did wrong. Overall, I enjoyed your slideshow.
ReplyDelete