If you proposed your own idea... (Proposal due Mon, Nov 4)
Describe your self-created assignment here. Reflect on the process and product. Blog post due two days after you present your project to the class. (minimum 250 words)
I found a type of poetry, button poetry, through looking for pieces for my anthology. I really liked it so I talked to Mrs. Silver about teaching a class on it for an honors option. I explained to the class what button poetry was, and what the purpose of button poetry is. I found a couple videos of people performing button poetry and showed them to the class, and had them think of a few themes that they saw in the videos. Than I had the class spend 7 minutes trying to write their own button poems, and finally I gave them the option to share them.
The hardest part for me was finding videos that were both appropriate for school and that weren’t too intense for everyone in the class. A Lot of the button poems are really heart wrenching and they use lots of intense language and the stories can be a little too much for people.
I really enjoyed doing this, I had alot of fun looking at all the talented young writers out there. Teaching the class was alot easier than I expected. They were alot more open to the idea, and alot more talkative than I thought they would be. They wrote alot of amazing poems in just 7 minutes.
If I were to do this again I would have the main plan be the same but I would probably have the class brainstorm some ideas before they start writing that way it’s easier for them to start writing.
I found a type of poetry, button poetry, through looking for pieces for my anthology. I really liked it so I talked to Mrs. Silver about teaching a class on it for an honors option. I explained to the class what button poetry was, and what the purpose of button poetry is. I found a couple videos of people performing button poetry and showed them to the class, and had them think of a few themes that they saw in the videos. Than I had the class spend 7 minutes trying to write their own button poems, and finally I gave them the option to share them.
ReplyDeleteThe hardest part for me was finding videos that were both appropriate for school and that weren’t too intense for everyone in the class. A Lot of the button poems are really heart wrenching and they use lots of intense language and the stories can be a little too much for people.
I really enjoyed doing this, I had alot of fun looking at all the talented young writers out there. Teaching the class was alot easier than I expected. They were alot more open to the idea, and alot more talkative than I thought they would be. They wrote alot of amazing poems in just 7 minutes.
If I were to do this again I would have the main plan be the same but I would probably have the class brainstorm some ideas before they start writing that way it’s easier for them to start writing.