Monday, July 31, 2017

YWP for 1st Quarter: due Fri, Oct 25 by 8pm

Post the title of your piece here. Also, name the prompt (or Challenge) you responded to, and paste a link to your piece on the YWP website. For options, see https://youngwritersproject.org/challenges18-19.

18 comments:

  1. The title is Crayon Box and the prompt is Colors.

    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/29356

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitlyn, I thought that your piece was actually very striking and individual. I also considered using the crayon box prompt, but had no idea how to make it creative or captivating. I expected boring color names such as “lawn green” or “cloud white”. I didn’t even imagine all the things that you could do with this prompt, but you clearly did and you did a great job expressing that. Your piece provided a new perspective for me. I really like that you named objects to match feelings, because I was able to feel that emotion as I read. I think you nailed the prompt, well done.

      Delete
    2. Kaitlyn, I thought you did a really good job coming up with color names that were both unique and creative. I really enjoyed how you made up categories that the different colors would fit into, I personally thought it showed how much thought you put into each color you came up with. I also liked the format you used to describe them. I was really interested to see that instead of listing each color out, you kind of told a story about them and how they fit into the categories you listed. I thought this made the writing more interesting to read overall and I really enjoyed the amount of detail you included.

      Delete
  2. The title is Winter and the prompt is Winter'19

    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/29871

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hunter, I think that you did a great job conveying your thoughts in your piece. You had a very strong vocabulary which provided vivid images throughout the piece. Also, it is easy to feel the appreciation you have for winter while reading. I especially liked the last stanza, where you describe snow as a “reflective blanket” and mention how winter looks different from all the other seasons. I had never thought about this, but winter really is the most drastic season in terms of changing. Lastly I like the poetic and soft tone of your piece, very nice job.

      Delete
    2. Hunter, I thought when reading your piece that you did a great job with explaining what you liked most about winter, especially in your first paragraph where you talked about breaking icicles off of the cars, and falling backwards into a pile of snow. It really made me think back through all the winters I have experienced, and I could imagine doing all these things. Although I really don't like winter and the could that comes with it, I really liked this piece you wrote.

      Delete
  3. The title is Alive and the prompt is Alive.

    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/30030

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the amount of detail you put in. I never knew that you liked to snowboard, so it was really neat to read the different stories you were telling. I always thought snowboarding looked extremely difficult, so it was also very interesting to read your take on it, and how it came naturally. I also really liked how in the first paragraph you talked about the process of snowboarding as if you were doing it in that moment, and how in the second paragraph you went on to give multiple stories about it. This really stood out to me, and really emphasized what about snowboarding you like so much.

      Delete
    2. I like the different structures of the piece. It starts off very broad not specifying any moment. Then it starts to tell multiple stories that add to the piece. I like how much detail there is during the stories. I liked reading this story as it reminds me of the good parts about winter, and that makes me feel excited for winter to come around.

      Delete
    3. I really enjoyed this post a lot. I was able to relate to you through the majority of the writing. I do not snowboard however, I ski. While I find skiing to be the superior method of winter transportation from top to bottom on mountains. I was able to see that skiers and snowboarders are not much different from each other. We all live for the thrill of feeling the wind whip against our goggles and freezing the parts of exposed skin. When you mentioned wiping the condensation off the inside of your goggles, I was able to visualize that very clearly. I remember one time where I was skiing in a glade and my goggles clouded up and I freaked out because everything that I saw was blurry and I was on a super sketchy trail. I also liked how you mentioned having your “favorite ski area”. This made me laugh because I think everyone has their own favorite places to ski. For instance, mine is definitely Mt Ellen at Sugarbush. I want to thank you for making me see both types of snow-sporters as equal ways of having fun. Great piece I hope to read more.

      Delete
  4. Title: Where the Leprechauns Play
    Prompt: Rainbow
    Link: https://youngwritersproject.org/node/30079

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this poem. I like how each stanza rhymed with the one before it, it adds a nice flow to the poem. The story is very funny, it starts out very subtle and then it gets very emotional and the poem has some attitude as well. When reading the poem I can picture the emotions that are used in describing the “annoying” leprechaun.

      Delete
    2. I thoroughly enjoyed this poem. I think that it flowed very nicely and that the rhymes made it eve more melodic. My favorite line was probably “Yet pigs still can’t fly.” I am curious as to how you thought of this poem, how it came to be. Anyhow, I liked the sudden turn of events, and how you could care less about stealing gold because the dwarves are that unbearable. Overall I think this poem took a creative and fun twist on the prompt.

      Delete
  5. Title: To Tell or Not to Tell
    Prompt:Thinking
    https://youngwritersproject.org/node/30082

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This poem really painted a picture for the reader. You could imagine the women sitting there in that awkward situation. It was also very relatable. Many of us have been in similar situations, whether we reacted the same way she did or not. The poem really makes you imagine the scenario laid out for us in this poem and think about similar situations we have been in.

      Delete
  6. https://youngwritersproject.org/node/30084

    Title: Tomorrow
    Prompt: Tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the flow, and the poetic feel of your poem. One line that I thought was really cool was, "I hope for clear skies and no tan lines" I really feel like this line could be interpreted in many different ways, like by the literal sky, and it not having any clouds, or in real life, hoping your day isn't as hard or bad as the day before. I really liked this poem that you wrote!

      Delete
  7. I liked how your poem began and ended with somewhat the same line. I liked how it was able to flow into the end really well. The line "I hope for clear skies and no tan lines" is a terrific line and I think it would be a great line in a song. Even though this was a shorter and simpler poem I think that it carried a lot. I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete